CORPUS CHRISTI - New Houston Astros owner and chairman Jim Crane has been added to the program for the 2012 Astros CAREavan Luncheon February 3 at the Omni Bayfront Hotel.
Start time is 11:30 and the event is presented by the Corpus Christ Caller-Times and ClearChannel Radio. $25 individual tickets are on sale at the Whataburger Field box office.
Crane joins Shane Reynolds, Hall of Fame broadcaster Milo Hamilton and Brian Bogusevic, Chris Johnson and J.B. Shuck. Members of the Astros travel party will sign autographs and visit with fans after the luncheon.
For additional information and to order tickets call 361-561-HOOK (4665).
- Purchased the Astros in November from Drayton McLane, Jr.
- Two-time All-American pitcher at the University of Central Missouri (1974-75)
- Led the Mules to the NCAA Division II College World Series
- Founded Eagle USA Airfreight in 1984; ultimately built a company of 10,000 employees at 400-plus facilities in 139 countries
- Formed Crane Worldwide Logistics in 2008, a premier global provider of customized transportation and logistics services
- CEO and president of Crane Capital Group
- Works with the Crane Foundation, a contributor to local and national charities
- Owner of Champion Energy Services
- Ace of the Astros pitching staff from 1996-2000 (team member 1992-02); made five Opening Day starts
- Member of National League Central Division championship clubs in 1997-98-99 and 2001
- Led the Astros in victories three times, including 19 in 1998
- Sixth on the club's career strikeout list behind Nolan Ryan, Roy Oswalt, J.R. Richard, Larry Dierker and Mike Scott
- Topped the NL in starts in 1998 and 1999 (35 each year)
- 103-86 in 11 Houston seasons
- Entering his 28th season as radio voice of the Astros (1985)
- 2012 will be his 59th year as a major league broadcaster
- Has also worked for the Cardinals, Cubs, White Sox, Braves and Pirates
- Member of five Halls of Fame (Baseball, Texas Baseball, Radio, Texas Radio, Iowa Baseball Coaches)
- Has helped raise more than $35 million for various charities as a master of ceremonies
- Astros right fielder at the close of 2011
- Hit .287/4/15 with 14 doubles in 87 games last season
- Played collegiately at Tulane; drafted in the first round (2005) as a pitcher before conversion to the outfield while a member of the Hooks
- Batted .371/3/20 over 42 games for Corpus Christi during 2008
- To contend for the Astros third base job in 2012
- Batted .251/7/42 last season in 107 contests
- 2010 Astros Rookie of the Year (.308/11/52 in 94 games); average was tops among MLB rookies
- 2008 Hooks Texas League All-Star; hit .324/12/58 with 24 doubles before a midseason promotion to Triple-A Round Rock
- Played college baseball at Stetson; selected in the fourth round of the 2006 draft
- Debuted for the Astros on August 5 against Milwaukee; hit .272 in 37 games
- 2010 Texas League All-Star; played in 101 games as a Hook and recorded team bests in average (.298) and hits (116)
- Taken in the sixth round of the 2008 draft from Ohio State